• Welcome to FitnessForums
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, World
Hello, all, my name is Tom.  I am 70 and retired two years ago and enjoy long-distance backpack  hiking over several days or weeks. It is good physically and spiritually and I intend to continue as long as my body allows.  I noticed this year that climbing hills was more difficult than the last year.  I am going to Japan this October to hike, hopefully, 800 miles and I try to prepare myself as best I can before I leave.  Hiking 20 km a day is not a problem on flat terrain, but the hills are what I am afraid will give me a trouble.  I know fitness centers have stepping machine (stair master, for example) but I spend over 6 months a year out of the country (not consecutively) so I am reluctant of joining them. 
What would be the best way of preparing myself for climbing hills? The stepper for home is expensive and bulky.  Someone suggested to use steps in local high school stadium, but that is no longer an option in the post 9-11 world.  I have been riding bike, but I wonder if it is better than just walking.  Would stepping exercise  using a plastic stepping board a better option than biking?  Any other suggestions?  Is there any fitness expert here?